Thursday, February 2, 2012

Ice skating

Today it is cold!! -10 degrees celcius and people really look like they are getting ready to build an iglo.


Although it is cold, Dutch people also love this freezing weather. Why? Because they can get their ice skates out and go ice skating. When I was young I did it all the time.



I would put on some winterproof clothing, hat, scarve, moonboots. Make some hot coco and pack my skates and ride my bike to the ice. There I put on my skates.

Although I already knew I was going to fall flat on my face within the first three strokes, I always looked forward to begin skating.  And indeed I fell, got up and from there it would go better by each stroke. After a couple of rounds, there was my beloved warm coco and after drinking it, the process would start all over again. On ice, fall and skate..

In Holland most people love skating and if the weather allows it we would organise a "elfstedentocht" (eleven cities tour). A tour which goed on ice through 11 cities (read: villages). An event which is in the heart of many dutch men and women. I wonder would it be possible to organise one this year?? Let's wait and see!


So I am going to go put on the heat some more and make me some hot coco!